Directeur du LMDAN.
Full Professor for Mathematics – Geometrical Analysis of Optimal Shapes, Partial Differential Equations, Optimization, Mathematical
University Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar, Senegal
Date and Place of Birth: January 26, 1965, Rufisque, Senegalese citizen Current Position: Full Professor
2010– Full Professor, Professor for Mathematics – Geometrical Analysis of Optimal Shapes, Partial Differential Equations, Optimization, Mathematical Modeling Univ. Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar
2005–2010 Professor, for Mathematics – Geometrical Analysis of Optimal Shapes, Partial Differential Equations, Mathematical, Optimization, Modeling Univ. Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar
1999–2005 Associate Professor for Mathematics Univ. Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar
1997–1999 Assistant Professor for Mathematics Univ. Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar
1996 PhD in Mathematics, University of Franche Comté, Besançon, France
1992 DEA in Applied Mathematics- Shape Optimisation, University Henry Poincaré, Nancy, France
1991 Master, Mathematical Engeneering, University Henri Poincaré, Nancy, France
1990 Bachelor, Mathematics, University Henri Poincaré, Nancy, France
Honors, Duties, and Awards
|2013–2018||Lead Researcher of the Non Linear Analysis Geometry and Applications (NLAGA)
|2013–2016||awarded as Professor at Pan African University located at Nairoby in Kenya for the
Master in Mathematics
|2015||International Data Crossing Prize: member of the team who won the price|
|2011–2014||Professor at African Institute for Mathematical Sciences to co-teach PDE and Fluid
Mechanics with Cédric Villani, Fields Medal in 2010
|2010–2015||Director of the Laboratory of Decision Mathematics and Numerical Analysis (LM-
DAN), University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar
|2010–2015||Head of the Doctoral training in Modelling and Scientific Computing of the PhD School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences of University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar|
|2013–2017||Member of the governing board of CIMPA|
|2016- 2019||Member of the Scientific Board of LIRIMA which INRIA International Lab (IIL) in
|2009-2017||Member of the Board of the School of Mathematics and Computer Sciences|
|2005–2008||Vice Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Managment, University Cheikh Anta
|2001-2002||Consultant on the quality at Carnaud Metal Box Manufactory in Statistical Process
Most relevant publications
Geometrical Analysis of Optimal Shapes:
- Ly, F. Mansal, D. Seck and M. Balde, A Location Problem of Obstacles in Population Dynamics, in Journal of Mathematics Research; Vol. 8, No. 4; August 2016
- O. Badahi, I. Ly and D. Seck, Analysis of the stability of the exterior and interior Bernoulli’s free boundary problems, in Applied Mathematics Sciences, vol. 10, 2016, n 12, 591- 612.
- Seck, An Isoperimetric Inequality in a Shape Geometric Analysis Problem: the Bernoulli’s Free Boundary Problem Case, in Sao Paulo Journal of Mathematical Sciences in september 2015.
- Ndiaye, B. M Ndiaye, I. Ly D. Seck: Reconstruction method for conformal mapping in two dimensions, AMO-Advanced Modeling and Optimization„ 16(3): 143-163, 2014
- Faye, M. Ndiaye, I. Ly and D.Seck , Problem of detecting inclusions by topological optimization with in journal Opuscula Mathematica 2013
- Ngom, I. Ly and D. Seck, Chemotherapy of a tumor by optimal control approach. Math. AEterna 2 (2012), no. 9-10, 779–803 with
- Ndiaye, A. Sy, D. Seck, Pollution in porous media : non permanent case, Journal of Computational Modelling en 2012
- Ndiaye, A. Sy, D. Seck, Location of an interface problem with a stationary Navier Stokes Systems in Journal of Theoretical Mathematics and Applications 2012, Vol. 2 Issue 3
- Ndiaye, I. Ly, D. Seck, A shape reconstruction problem with the Laplace operator in Bulletin of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 4 (2012), no. 1, 91–103.
- Ngom, A. Sy, I. Faye, D. Seck, Study of Phononic and Photonic Crystal Problems by
Topological Optimization Method in International Journal of Mathematical Analysis Vol 5, 2011, n 15
- Diop, I. Faye, I. Ly, D. Seck, Shape and topological optimization in Electromagnetism problemns, in Contemporary Engeneering Sciences Vol. 3, 2010, n 8, 373-394
- Diallo, I. Faye, D. Seck, Geometrical behavior in elasticity problems by topological optimization in Applied Mathematical Sciences en 2012
- Ngom, I. Ly, D. Seck, Study of a tumor by shape and topological optimization Applied Mathematical Sciences 2011
- Fall, A. Sy, D. Seck Topological Optimization for a Controlled Dirichlet Problem in Polygonal Domains, JNaMS, 2010.
- Sy, D. Seck Topological optimization with the p-laplacian operator: with an application in image processing in Boundary Value Problems Journal Volume 2009, article 986813. Hindawi Publishing Corporation: doi 10.1155/2009/896813.
- Faye A. Sy, D. Seck Topological optimization and pollution in porous media pp 209-237, in Modeling Simulations, Visualization and e-Learning, Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg 2008 .
- Ly , D. Seck Existence of solutions for the one phase and the multi-layer free boundary problems with p-laplacian operator” EJDE(Electronical Journal of Differential Equations) vol 2006 (2006) pp 1-23.
- Barkatou, D. Seck, I. Ly , An existence result for an interior electromagnetic casting problem” CEJM( Central European Journal of Mathematics) 4(4) 2006 573-584.
- Barkatou, D. Seck, I Ly, An existence result for a quadrature surface free boundary problem” CEJM (Central European Journal of Mathematics), janvier 2005, vol 1
- Ly, D. Seck, Isoperimetric inequality for an interior free boundary problem with p-laplacian operator” EJDE, n0 109 , 2004
- Ly, D. Seck, Estimation de la constante de Bernouilli dans le probléme intérieur à frontière libre pour le p-laplacien : Comptes Rendus de l’Académie des Sciences de Paris, série I, 337, 2003, p.393-396.
- Ly, D. Seck Optimisation de formes et problèmes à frontière libre, cas du p-laplacien : Annales de la Faculté des Sciences de Toulouse volume 12, n 1, 2003, p.103-126.
- Ly, D. Seck Etude d’un problème à frontière libre avec le p-laplacien » : Comptes Rendus de l’Académie des Sciences série I, 332 p.899-902, Paris 2001 .
- Henrot, D. Seck, Retour à une ancienne approche pour un problème à frontière libre classique » : analyse non linéaire, les publications mathématiques de Besançon, 15, p.29-40, 1997 Homogenization and PDE:
- Faye, M. Ndiaye, D. Seck, Coupling the Navier-Stokes equations with a short term dynamic of sand dunes submitted in Proceedings, Birkhauser, 2017.
- A.M. T. Baldé, D. Seck, Numerical simulation for a dimensionless coupled system of Shallow Water Equation with Long Term Dynamic of sand Dunes Equation, submitted in Proceedings, Birkhauser, 2017
- K. Thiam, I. Faye, D. Seck, A Neumann boundary value problem of sand transport: Existence and homogenization of a short term case, submitted.
- A.M. T. Baldé, D. Seck, Coupling the Shallow Water Equation with a Long Term Dynamics of Sand Dunes, DCDS S vol 9, number 5, pp. 1521- 1551, october 2016.
- Faye E. Frénod, D. Seck, Long term behavior of singularity perturbed parabolic degenerated equation., journal of non linear analysis and applications in 2016.
- Homogenization and transport equations: the case of desert and sand piles, M. Badahi, I. Faye D. Seck, arXiv:1603.08780v1 , March 2016.
- Faye E. Frénod, D. Seck, Two scale numerical simulations in problems of sand transport with Ibrahima Faye and Emmanuel Frénod D. Seck to appear in DCDS S in 2013.
- Faye E. Frénod, D. Seck, Singularly perturbed degenerated parabolic equations and application to seabed morphodynamics in tided environment in DCDS-A, Volume 29, Number 3, March 2011 pp 1001-1030.
Optimal Mass Transportation:
- Ndiaye, M. Ndiaye, A. Sy and D. Seck, Pollution Transfert as Optimal Mass Transport Problem, Journal of Mathematics Research, Vol. 8, No. 6, December 2016
- Ndiaye, B. M Ndiaye, P. Mendy, D. Seck, Numerical Approach of Network Problems in
Optimal Mass Transportation, in Applied Mathematics in 2012 Mathematical Economy and Optimization:
- Lavallée, B. M. Ndiaye, D. Seck, Une approche spécifiquement informatique pour la Programmation Linéaire, in Studia Informatica Universalis pp 5–43, vol 10 n 2, 2012.
- Diallo and B. M. NDiaye, D. Seck, Scheduling Aircraft Landing at LSS Airport, American Journal of Operations Research, Vol. 2, pp 235-241, 2012
- B. Djiba, M. Baldé, B.M. Ndiaye, R.M. Faye and D. Seck Breakdown Mechanic Location Problem in Applied Mathematics in 2012
- Lavallée, B. M. Ndiaye, D. Seck, A new way in linear programming in Proceedings of
International on Logistics, Informatics and Service Science, Beijing ,China vol. 2 pp 220-227 2011  E. Kouassi, P. Mendy, D. Seck, K. O. Kymn, Dynamic Poverty Measures in Theoretical Economics Letters 2011, 1, pp 63-69.
- Kouassi, P. Mendy, D. Seck, K. O. Kymn, Poverty Indices Revisited in Theoretical Economics Letters 2011, 1, pp 129-133.
- Ronald Katende, Diaraf Seck, Philip Ngare, On the location of a free boundary for American options in Journal of mathematical finance. – [S.l.] : Scientific Research, ISSN 2162-2434, ZDB-ID 26573775. – Vol. 6.2016, 5, p. 930-943.
- D. Mambo, M. Kimathi, D. Seck, Simulation of Traffic Congestion at Unsignalised Intersections using a Microscopic Traffic Flow Model in International Journal of Applied Mathematical Sciences ISSN 0973-0176 Volume 9, Number 2 (2016), pp. 197-211.
Experience in Supervising Doctoral Students
- Mouhamadou Aliou Mountaga Tall Baldé: Study of Transport Problems: Coastal Erosion and urban development at the University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2017) with Emmanuel Frénod (UBS, Vannes, France) as co supervisor
- Mariama Ndiaye (female): Inclusions Recognition Problems and Interface Identification with Navier Stokes equations at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2016)
- Mohamed Ould Badahi : Asymptotic and Stability Analyses of Shapes and of Partial Diffe rential Equations at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2016) with Ibrahima Faye(UADB, Sénégal) as co-supervisor
- Fulgence Mansal : Control and Geometric Optimization Problems and Modeling Fishery Systems with Variable Prices, at the University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2015) with Moussa Balde (UCAD) and Pierre Auger(IRD, France) as co supervisors
- Sidy Ly: Control Problems and Aggregation Methods on Dynamic of Populations at the University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2015) with Moussa Balde (UCAD) and Pierre Auger(IRD, FRance) as co supervisors.
- Coumba Diallo (female): Structural optimization problems: Applications in elasticity theory and i aircraft traffic at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2013), with Babacar Mbaye Ndiaye (UCAD) as co supervisor
- Cheikh Bourama Djiba: Networks Optimization in urban transport problems at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2012) with Roger Marcelin Faye (UCAD) as co supevisor
- Lamine NDiaye: On the recognition of domains and transport problems in trafic networks by at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2012)
- Ibrahima Faye: Mathematical study of thermo elasticity problems and of movement of dunes in sea bed at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2011) with Emmanuel Frénod (UBS, Vannes, France) as co supervisor
- Khady Fall (female) On an optimal and geometric control problem in polygonal domains at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2011)
- Alassane Sy: on Some numerical aspects in shape and topological optimization at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2011)
- Mohamed Ould Badahi: on Spectral Problems by Homogenization and Shape Optimization Problems, at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2010)
- Mouhamadou Ngom: Studies of tumors Evolution with shape and topological optimization and of Phononic Crystals at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2009)
- Alassane Sy: Studies of pollution problems in porous media and image processing with topological optimization tools at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2008)
- Ibrahima FAYE: Studies of some pollution and thermo elasticity problems with shape topological optimization tools in 2008 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2008)
- Idrissa Ly: Multilayer and Spectral Problems in Shape Optimization at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (2007)
- Idrissa Ly: Applied Mathematics Ph D. Thesis An Existence Results in Shape Optimization and Exterior Free Boundary Problem : Case of the p-Laplace Operator at the University Gaston Berger of Saint-Louis in Senegal (2002) with Mary Teuw Niane (UGB, Sénégal).
- Alassane Niang: On Geometric Analysis of Optimal Shape with non local operatorswith Mouhamed Moustapha Fall (AIMS Sénégal) as co supervisor
- Boubacar Fall: On Geometric Analysis of Optimal Shapes and on Optimal Mass Transportation with Filippo Santambrogio (Paris XI, Orsay, France) as co supervisor
- Babou Khady Thaim: Homogenization of Boundary value problems on morphodynamics equations: A coastal erosion case with Ibrahima Faye (UADB, Sénégal) as co supervisor
Experience in supervising Master students
- Idrissa Ly, Master thesis on Theoretical Aspects in a Shape Recognition Problem defended in 1998 at the Gaston Berger University of Gaston Berger of Saint-Louis in SenegalL
- Mamadou Bousso, Master thesis on A Shape Optimization Problem with the Heat Equation defended in 2003 at the Gaston Berger University of Saint-Louis in Senegal
- Mouhamadou Ngom, Master thesis on Topological Perturbation methods and the Elliptic PDE defended in 2005 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar.
- Alassane Sy, Master thesis on Topological optimization and Elliptic PDE defended in 2005 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar.
- Ibrahima Faye, Master thesis on Topological optimization and asymptotic analysis of shape functional defended in 2005 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar.
Madiaw Dibo, Master thesis on segmentation and restoration of images with shape optimization tools defended in 2006 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar.
- Ould Badahi Mouhamed, Master thesis on Shape optimization via homogenization methods defended in 2006 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar.
- Lamine Ndiaye, Master thesis on Mass Transport problem applied to network traffic defended in 2008 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar.
- Ms Coumba Diallo (female), Master thesis on Mass transport problems defended in 2007 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar.
- Mouhamadou Aliou Mountaga Tall Baldé, Master thesis on Elliptic Partial Differential Equations defended by in 2012 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar
- Ababacar Diop, Master thesis on Evolution Partial Differential Equations defended in 2013 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar
- Marie Nèye Gnilane Diouf (female), Master thesis on Dynamic Equilibrium of prices in a market defended in 2014 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (supervised in collaboration with Dr Pierre Mendy)
- Mame Khady Sall (female), Master thesis on Modeling of a financial market and simulations in 2014 at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar (supervised in collaboration with Dr Pierre Mendy)
- Mbargou Dème Master thesis on Modeling of Pollution and tumors in cancer and simulations in 2014 at University Chaikh Anta Diop of Dakar (supervised in collaboration with Dr Soulèye Kane)
- Ronald Katende, Master Thesis in Progress on Identification of American Option in 2016 at Pana African University for Basic Sciences Technology and Innovation (PAUISTI), Kenya.
- Maithya Mambo, Master Thesis in Progress on Modeling and Simulation of Road Traffic in 2016 at Pana African University for Basic Sciences Technology and Innovation (PAUISTI), Kenya.
- Visiting Professor at Georgia Institute of Technology à Atlanta USA in december 2004 until January 2005
- Visiting Professor at university Antilles Guyane in Guadeloupe, one month in 2004 and in 2006.  Speaker Professor at PICOF, april 2008 à Marrakech au Marocco.
- Speaker at the conference Calculus of Variations and Applications au Portugal in september 2008
- Lecturer and visiting Professor at CIMPA- UNESCO School in Guadeloupe january 2009 on
the dynamic of populations , control theory and applications
- Speaker CIMPA- UNESCO school in Dakar in april 2011 on modeling and non linear analysis of systems
- Speaker at the First International Conference on Logistics, Informatics and Service Science in june 2011 in China
- Participant to the International Conference on Control PDEs, Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers Paris : March 31 th to April 4 2014
- Invited Speaker to School of Mathematics at University Assane Seck of Ziguinchor (Senegal) and at Cabo Verde University (Cabo Verde) in 2015
- Lecturer for Variational Methods for PDE, tat Schools of Mathematics at University Félix Houphouet Boigny of Abidjan in 2012 and at University of Lome (Togo) in 2016.
- Invited speaker in May 2017 at Lebanese International Conference in Mathematics and Applications that took place at Lebanese University in Beirut, Liban.
- Invited to participate to the workshop on “New trends in shape optimization” held in Breitenbach (France) from may 29 to may 31, 2017.
- Invited speaker in June 2017 at Abidjan, Ivory Coast at the conference of RAMA (a Network in Analysis and Applications) and the celebration of eighteenth anniversary of Professor Saliou Touré (first PhD in Mathematics in Ivory Coast) that took place at ENSEA in University Félix Houphouet Boigny of Cocody-Abidjan
- Invited to participate to the workshop on “Spectral Geometry” held in Neuchâtel (Switzerland) from June 19 to June 23, 2017.
- Invited by Volker Schulz member of the Research Training Group Algorithmic Optimization
(ALOP) to participate in joint research during the week of July 17 through July 20, 2017
Experience in Teaching
 Functional Analysis and Linear Evolution Equations at Gaston Berger University of Saint Louis,
Sénégal from 1997- to 2002
- ]Optimization, Gaston Berger University of Saint Louis, Sénégal from 1999 to 2002
- Partial Differential Equations, Shape Optimization (geometrical control of the domain), Shape Derivatives and Topological Derivatives with respect to a domain in the Master in Applied Mathematics of the Faculty of Sciences and Techniques., at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar, and in Master of Numerical Analysis (1999) at university Gaston Berger of Saint Louis, Sénégal
- Partial Differential Equations and Fluid Mechanics at African Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Sénégal at Mbour in 2012 , 2013 and 2014.
- Topology and Hilbert and Fourier Analysis, Master of Mathematics, at University Alioune Diop, Bambey, Sénégal, from 2010-2012
- Dynamical Systems, Master of Mathematics at University Alioune Diop, Bambey, Sénégal, from 2014-2016
- Partial Differential Equations, Master of Mathematics at University Alioune Diop, Bambey, Sénégal
- Distributions theory and Partial DIfferential Equation, Master of Mathematics at University Assane Seck of Ziguinchor
- Dynamical Systems, Modeling and Simulation for the academic years 2012-2013, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, at Pan African University Institute for Basic Sciences, Technology and Innovation at Nairoby, in Kenya.
- MOOC on Evolution Equations since 2015 with Cédric Villani, Fields Medal in 2010.
- Mathematical Modelling in Mechanics and Physical Sciences from 2003 to 2006 at Polytechnic School at Cheikh Anta Diop University
- Games theory at faculty of Economics and Management at University Cheikh Anta Diop of
Dakar and at Ecole Nationale de la Statistiques et de l’ Analyse Economique, ENSAE-Sénégal
- Dynamical Optimization at Faculty of Economics and Management and at ENSAE, Sénégal
- Operations Research at the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences at Cheikh Anta Diop University
- Calculus, Linear Algebra, Optimization, Calculus of Variations and Optimal Control at the
Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences at Cheikh Anta Diop University
- FIRST- Senegal Resarch Ministry, Mathematical Modelling, Mathematical Analysis and Numerical Simulations, 2008 – 2011, e30 000.
- ORTANS project funded by AUF (Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie)Optimisation on Transport Networks, 2012–2013, e35 000.
- NLAGA Project funded by SIMONS Foundation: Non Linear Analysis Geometry and Application, 2012– 2017, US dollars 400 000
Organization of events: Workshops and Schools Member of the organization committee:
- Workshop ORPA (Operation Research Practice in Africa) in 2010 at Cheikh Anta Diop University of Dakar
- CIMPA school in 2011 Non Linear Analysis and Modelling of Complex Systems at Cheikh Anta Diop University of Dakar
- CIMPA school in 2012 on Geometric Structures and Geometric Control at Cheikh Anta Diop University of Dakar
- Main Organizer of the ICTP-NLAGA International School on Dynamical Systems and Ergodic Theory in 2014 at AIMS Senegal
- Main organizer of the « Workshop on “Mathematical sciences for understanding real world problems in Africa: Georgia Tech meets Senegal » in 2015 at AIMS Senegal
- Main organizer of the the Workshop on Analysis on Manifolds and PDE from 11 th to 16 th April 2016
- Main organizer with Antoine Henrot (in position at University of Lorraine, France) of the CIMPA School in May , 2nd to 12 th 2016 in Geometrical Analysis of Optimal Shapes at University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar.
- Main Organizer with André Diatta (Fresnel Institute Aix -Marseille) of the 2nd Workshop and International Conference in Seismic Meta- materials in 2016 in Dakar Senegal
- Organizer with Wilfrid Ganbo full professor at UCLA, USA and Aboubacar Marcos professor at IMSP, Benin for the School of Analysis that took place at Cotonou in Benin from 05 to 15 December 2016.
- Main organizer with Volker Schulz (Trier University, Germany) of the DFG-AIMS Workshop on Shape optimization, homogenization and controlMarch 13-16, 2017, AIMS Senegal, Mbour, Senegal.